Reporting Work Related Illnesses and Injuries

If you are injured on the job or suffer a work-related illness, your supervisor or department personnel officer should be notified immediately. Every injury or work-related illness must be reported, regardless of whether it might seem relatively minor or insignificant. You should report the nature of the injury and the circumstances surrounding the incident.  Visit the Human Resources Workers Compensation page for detailed instructions.

Seek Medical Treatment

If you need medical attention for a work-related injury or illness, you may seek treatment from your own health care provider or receive initial treatment from the University Health Services (UHS). The University’s workers compensation insurance carrier will pay for any costs associated with your approved workers compensation claim. You or your medical provider must call the state insurer’s Utilization Review Agent for pre-approval of treatment or within 24 hours after seeking emergency treatment. The phone number is: 1-800-266-7991.

Notify Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S)

If the injury is serious, contact EH&S as soon as the employee/student has sought medical attention.  EH&S can be reached at 413-545-2682 . If there is no answer please leave a detailed message and someone will return your call. Examples of serious injuries include:

  • Injuries involving hospital treatment, ambulance transport or time away from work
  • Incidents where multiple employees are injured
  • Biological exposures (needle sticks, exposure to blood or other bodily fluids, etc.)
  • Chemical exposures/poisonings
  • Work related illnesses
  • Severe lacerations or punctures requiring stitches  
  • Amputations
  • Broken bones
  • Incidents resulting in a concussion or loss of consciousness
  • Electric shock
  • Fatality occurring at work even if it appears to be by natural causes

Notice of Injury Report

Your supervisor or department personnel officer is responsible for filing a Notice of Injury Report within 48 hours of the time an incident occurs. The report establishes an official record of your injury/illness and is submitted to the Workers Compensation Section of Human Resources.    

Lab Incidents

See Lab Incidents and Lab Incident Report Form if the incident or injury took place in a lab.